Maps & Charts
When planning to use maps as part of a presentation or within a research paper, it is required that proper credit be given. Most of the map collections have information sections with permission guidelines. Please read the information regarding use of maps on each web site.
General Map Resources
- NDU Map Resources Guide – A guide to map resources on the internet. Prepared by the NDU Library staff in support of the courses, conferences, and research requirements of the National Defense University.
- CIA Maps – Search over 100 locations across the globe.
- Library of Congress Map Collection – Searchable collection of digitized maps in the public domain from North America, 1544-1996. Searching the Library of Congress Map Collection
- Maps of Asia from Perry-Castaneda Library
- Maps of Australia and the Pacific from Perry-Castaneda Library
- National Geographic Maps for Printing – Select country or region for printable map in .gif and pdf format
- United Nations Maps & Geospatial Services
Topic Maps & Charts
- 40 Maps that Explain the World – Historical, political, emotional, psychological maps of the world
- A New View of Asia – charts on Asian economic stakes, political stakes and security challenges
- Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project ACLED collects real-time data on the locations, dates, actors, fatalities, and types of all reported political violence and protest events around the world.
- China’s Maritime Disputes
- Deadliest Civil Wars and Armed Conflicts from The Economist
- Global Terrorism Index Map
The Global Terrorism Index (GTI) is the first index to systematically rank and compare 158 countries according to the impact of terrorism. Produced by the Institute for Economics and Peace, the GTI maps and analyses trends in terrorism over the last 10 years. The index is based on data from the Global Terrorism Database (GTD) from the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START) at the University of Maryland.
- Naval Post Graduate School Regions of Conflict Map Collection – Select from list of regions to find maps relating to conflict issues.
- Reuters Alertnet.Org Interactive Map Service – Select by conflict, disaster, health, etc.
- South China Sea map
Map from the University of Texas Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection highlighting Paracel and Spratley Islands.
- Transparency International.org Corruption Perceptions Index
- United Nations Geospatial & Location Information
- World Bank.Org Country Snapshots – Includes regional income levels.
- Women and Girls on the Map Women and Girls on the Map has been created by the Gender and Disaster Network, the Huairou Commission, Northumbria University (UK), OXFAM, and Plan International, with support from UNISDR.
- World Health Organization Public Health Mapping and GIS Map Library
The GHO map gallery includes an extensive list of maps on major health topics. Maps are classified by themes and can be further searched by keyword.